We are looking for a passionate Mechanical Engineer to join our Engineering Department and support the execution of projects. You will report to the Head of Engineering, and work closely with stakeholders, sales team, engineers, designers, electrical control team and production team to deliver projects. You will be involved in a number of projects around the world and at the same time work on high-impact R&D projects.
You will work with internal and external partners, both domestic and international, as well as design experts and specialists. You will need to apply the principles of engineering, physics and material science for the development, design, analysis, manufacturing and maintenance of mechanical systems and products.
Who you are
- A problem solver – you need to be strong analytical thinker who is capable of solving problems by actively looking for new solutions.
- Creative – Mechanical engineering entails developing and designing a wide range of systems and products. Inventing involves a great deal of creativity, as does figuring out how to bring projects home within challenging timeframes.
- Strong communicator – You may have to explain complex systems or machines to people who are not familiar with mechanical engineering. You have to be able to convey your ideas clearly and effectively, and this takes strong communication skills.
- Team player – You will work with people who are not mechanical engineers, such as electrical engineers, project managers or even sales. As such, you need to be able to work with a diverse team of people to solve problems.
- Reliable – You will be responsible for many things, and there may not be someone to catch what you might drop. You will need to be reliable, competent, and able to work independently.
- Growth mindset – You will need to have a strong sense of ownership and a curiosity to learn, even if they take you outside your area of expertise.
- Flexible – We have a global presence and so will need to work with people from around the world. Sometimes this means outside of normal hours. Sometimes it means international travel.
What you’ll do
- Responsible for executing and supporting projects from solution development, resource management, quality control and delivery.
- Collaborate with clients and partners to understand project requirements and develop optimal solutions accordingly.
- Apply principles of mechanics, thermodynamics, hydraulics, heat transfer, and materials.
- Develop mechanical systems and solutions based on expected performance, manufacturability, assembly and serviceability.
- Create designs in line with company procedure, regulations, and client standards.
- Develop manufacturing processes by designing and modifying equipment for fabricating, building, assembling, and installing components.
- Coordinate or support activities involved in fabrication, operation, application, installation, and repair of custom systems.
- Work on schedule and within the budget on all mechanical aspects of the project, and manage own time for maximum efficiency.
- Provide all information to support procurement of all mechanical related components, included in BOMs.
- Participate in project management tasks such as design reviews, status reporting, and team meetings.
- Discuss and solve problems with manufacturing, sub-contractors, suppliers, and customers.
- Communicating with international/domestic stakeholders and suppliers, and internal staff to ensure successful and timely project execution.
- Develop system configurations with accompanying heat and material balances.
- Develop PFDs, P&IDs, control philosophy, and select system components based on each projects system configuration.
- Research, plan and design and create detailed drawings of mechanical components and systems.
- Work in tandem with electrical and controls engineers to ensure the functionality and completeness of the design output.
- Ensure compliance with industry standards and government regulations.
- Finalize designs and send data to the production department.
- Confirm system and product capabilities by designing feasibility and testing methods, testing properties.
- Assures system and product quality by designing testing methods; testing finished- product and system capabilities; confirming fabrication, assembly, and installation processes.
- Prepares product reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Provide direction and/or support to the field service technicians.
- Write technical documents in English at an engineering level.
- Identify risks, proposes solutions and develops mitigation strategies.
Qualifications we are looking for
- University degree in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited institution.
- 5-8 years total industry experience.
- Substantial experience designing mechanical systems including front end engineering design (develop design basis, M&E balance, PFDs, P&IDs, equipment selection etc.)
- Background in Fluid Mechanics/ Thermodynamics with knowledge of automation and controls is required.
- Background in Refrigeration, food processing equipment, chemical, pharmaceutical, material handling industries is highly valued.
- Proficiency in SolidWorks, AutoCAD and other CAD applications.
- Proficiency in FEA an asset.
- Good understanding of manufacturing and machining processes.
- Implementation of international projects is an asset.
- Excellent English communication skills, both oral and written.
- Motivated to solve technical challenges.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with the team and stakeholders.
What we offer you
- Work on exciting and high impact technologies that you’ll be proud of
- Exposure to Projects around the world with the opportunity to travel to exciting places
- Friendly, welcoming and inclusive work environment that fosters collaboration across all departments and levels
- Flexible career direction with opportunities for advancement
- Work in partnership with companies and institutions that lead the world in R&D
- Competitive salary with a significant upside on performance, flexible work environment, industry leading benefits