We are looking for a passionate Project Manager to lead our commercial arm’s project execution group and: manage the team, lead projects, support sales, and strategically outsource manufacturing and services. You will report to the Director of Operations, and work closely with stakeholders, sales team, engineers, designers, electrical control team and production team to deliver projects on time and on budget. You will be involved in a number of projects around the world and at the same time work on high-impact R&D projects addressing challenges and real-life implementation of new technologies.
Who you will need
- Leadership – As a project manager you are responsible not only for seeing the project through to a successful completion, but you are leading a team to achieve that goal.
- Communication – You can only be an effective leader if you are able to articulate what it is you need your team to do. But you are not only going to be communicating with your team, but you will also need to have clear communications with everyone associated with the project.
- Scheduling – The only way to achieve the goals of the project within the timeframe that has been decided on is to breakdown that goal into tasks on a timeline.
- Risk Management – Doing anything is a risk. Planning a project, big or small, is inherent with risk. It is part of your job to see those issues before they become problems.
- Cost Management – You cannot do anything without the money to pay for it. Your first job is to make sure that the budget is realistic and can meet the financial needs of the project, and, secondly, controlling those costs throughout the execution of the project.
- Critical Thinking – Critical thinking is being as objective as you can in analyzing and evaluating an issue or situation, so that you can form an unbiased judgement.
- Quality Management – Quality management is overseeing the activities and tasks that are required to deliver a product or service at the stated level indicated in the project paperwork.
What you’ll do
- Independently lead and manage the project execution group.
- Be the Project Manager for all commercial projects (typical portfolio of 4 small-medium sized projects per year).
- Apply engineering expertise to develop solutions and system configurations that will bring the highest value to our clients.
- With the support from senior leaders, lead our outsourcing plan by finding, approaching, evaluating, and contracting manufacturing and professional services partners from around the world.
- Support development and implementation of project management processes and tools.
- Take responsibility for project reviews, and create, collect and analyze Key Performance Indicators (KPI) to identify actionable trends.
- Build and manage the project execution team as required, in line with Sunwell’s strategic plan.
- Support detailed cost analysis and development of cost estimating tools.
- Train and coach junior project engineers in solid project management principals and company policies and procedures.
- Lead by example and have a good balance of hands-on work.
Project management (is the process of leading the work of a team to achieve goals and meet success criteria at a specified time).
- Responsible for overseeing projects from solution development, resource management, production, quality control and delivery.
- Execute all phases of assigned projects from initiation to closure, managing timelines, budget and scope for multiple concurrent projects.
- Work with sales team to ensure proposals: are technically correct, consider all scope and risk, are achievable in terms of cost and schedule, are based on standard system blocks, have agreeable contracting terms.
- Build collaborative relationships with project sponsors and stakeholder teams.
- Develop fit for purpose project plans that align scope, time, cost, quality, resources and risks with on-going monitoring of project execution for any deviations from the plan, invoking corrective action and contingency plans where necessary.
- Establish effective project communications, ensuring that project delivery expectations are clearly understood and specified, and that information/updates are distributed in a timely manor to ensure stakeholder buy in and project success.
- Prioritize and manage own workload and the workload of project team members in order to deliver quality results against aggressive timelines.
- Ensure all projects have appropriate level of governance and are executed with demonstrated alignment to project execution standards and practices.
- Manage system installation and start-up.
Outsourcing (is an agreement in which one company hires another company to be responsible for a planned or existing activity that is or could be done internally)
- Support development of outsourcing strategic plan.
- Identify, approach, evaluate, negotiate, and contract with outsourcing partners based on cost effectiveness, quality, ease of partnering, and risk. This will require visiting offices and sites globally.
- Review and manage these partnership agreements and relationships, providing feedback to senior leaders.
Engineering (is the use of scientific principles to design and build machines, structures, and other items. Specifically process, mechanical, industrial, and manufacturing engineering tasks will be executed).
- Lead your team in the front end engineering design for all commercial projects by applying process engineering (chemical/petrochemical) expertise.
- Developing process design basis and select unit operations.
- Design, develop & produce process PFDs, P&IDs and mass balance calculations.
- Sizing and specification of process and process utility equipment
- Develop process control and operating philosophies and commissioning and operating manuals.
- Prepare Bills of Materials (BOMs) of equipment, instruments and valves for procurement.
- Equipment procurement and bid evaluation.
- Technical SME for sales and marketing.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering from an accredited program. Background in Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics, with knowledge of automation and controls is preferred.
- Minimum of 8 years progressive engineering and project management experience.
- 5+ years of experience in project management with strong manufacturing engineering or process engineering skills in integration, high purity chemical or petrochemical.
- 2+ years of management experience preferred.
- Project management qualification (PMP) is required.
- Experience in front end engineering design is preferred.
- Experience with mechanical & process design of equipment is required.
- Experience in proposal development, costing, contract drafting is preferred.
- Experience with ISO quality standards for product/process control is an asset.
- Background in Refrigeration, food processing equipment, chemical, material handling industries is a strong asset.
- Competency in technology and software including Office, MS Projects, process simulation software, CAD is required.
- Excellent English verbal and written communications skills with the ability to present technical data to all levels of the organization.
- Experience in leading multi-company and distributed teams is an asset.
- Implementation of international projects is an asset.
- Ability and willingness to travel globally for short periods of time (normally 10%, up to 20%)
What we offer you
- Work on exciting and high impact technologies that you’ll be proud of.
- Exposure to Projects around the world with the opportunity to travel to exciting places.
- Opportunity to build and lead your own team.
- Friendly, welcoming and inclusive work environment that fosters collaboration across all departments and levels.
- Flexible career direction with opportunities for advancement.
- Work in partnership with companies and institutions that lead the world in R&D.
- Competitive salary with a significant upside on performance, flexible work environment, industry leading benefits.